Thursday 21 May 2009

Take back the city for yourself tonight...And I'll take back the city for me.

There's something about cities that makes me want to fall in love.

Travelling alone on the train tonight, I switched my iPod to Genius, which is my new favorite thing upon upgrading to a 15gb iPod Nano (it's purple). As the train whizzed past different apartment buildings and offices, my iPod played lovey dovey songs...and instead of switching the songs, I listened...and I listened good.

There's something about cities that makes me feel older than I am - more experienced, if you will, in everything that has to do with living. What is silly is that I am merely a 22-year-old girl, so completely naive and sheltered. Growing up in small-town Ohio, I always dreamt of one day living in a great apartment that had a view of some fabulous city. I used to pretend that outside my bedroom window in my parents' house was a beautiful, tree-lined street in New York City. Now, instead of pretending that I have always been resident of the city, I envision myself working, living and enjoying life in the city. Alongside this vision is a guy - a wonderful, career-driven, sports-fanatic, successful guy. And we're craaaazy about one another and the fact that we both prefer Bud Light drafts rather than in a bottle. We both love the same teams and discuss when it will be financially feasible to get season passes to all of our favorites. I want to fall in love and I want this guy to fall in love with me. I want him to be crazy about me. And I want to hold hands walking down that same tree-lined street that I envisioned when I was 10.

There's something about growing up that makes me want to be in a city. I want to be swallowed whole in the life - the thrill, the excitement, the culture - of a city. I want the love, the glory and the pride that comes with finding yourself, and someone else, in a city.

No comments:

Post a Comment